Education is a key goal with PFLAG as many people in the community seek ways to be more inclusive of the LGBTQ+ community.
Our target populations include schools, social service agencies, businesses, medical offices, emergency service personnel and law enforcement, to name a few. We are eager to meet with anyone who is interested in a better understanding of the LGBTQ+ communities and to help foster more allies to those communities.
Our speakers are trained and bring their own equipment for the presentations. They will also provide materials to participants upon request. We offer some standard trainings, and we are very willing to tailor a training to your particular needs. Feel free to contact us for further information.
THE ABCS OF LBGTQ+
In this introduction to the community, you will learn the meaning of sexual orientation and gender identity. You will become familiar with the initials and why they are so important. You will learn how to be an ally and how to make your home, office, place of business, school, place of worship and community a safe and welcoming place for these valuable community members. People have shared with us that their perceptions have been challenged as we offer new ways to think about love and identity.Many in our audiences share that they have felt changed because of this knowledge. They tell us they feel better prepared as we all move forth in the world as allies.
THE SCIENCE OF GENDER
This very popular presentation is for groups who feel they would like to know more about where gender comes from. Are we born knowing our gender, or does it develop later in life? Is gender cultural or biological, both? How much do we now know about the development of gender? In this presentation, you will learn about the role of chromosomes, DNA, genes, hormones and other variables that affect gender. Because of our misunderstanding about gender, prejudice and discrimination is widespread against the trans community. Become part of the solution by educating yourself and becoming a knowledgeable ally.
CHILDREN & GENDER: MYTHS, MISPERCEPTIONS AND SCIENCE
- This is a presentation targeted to family and friends of trans/non binary children. It is also helpful for school administrators, teachers, educational aides, school staff including bus drivers and office workers, healthcare workers, law enforcement, detention workers, agencies who work with children, faith communities….everyone. The following topics will be discussed:
- When do children know their gender?
- Is sex and gender the same thing?
- Where does gender come from?
- What can science tell us about the biology of gender?
- How does one respond to a transgender/non binary child?
- What does transitioning mean for a child?
- How can I keep my child safe during this journey?
- What resources will I need?
To schedule a presentation for your group, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.