- American Academy of Pediatrics
(formerly the Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation) is a U.S. nongovernmental media monitoring organization founded by LGBT people in the media
- Human Rights Campaign
- National Center for Transgender Equality
- World Professional Association for Transgender Health
sets forth the worldwide standards of care for trangender and gnc and intersex persons.
(Gay, Lesbian & Straight Education Network)
Our parent organization that has lots of resources.
- Youtube: The Science of Gender
This is a half hour video that will change how you see gender and will prepare you to have conversations about gender in a much more meaningful way.
- For Schools
- Excellent series of articles on the biology behind sex and gender.
- Medically recommended care for trans, gnc and intersex children
- Current research on mental health outcomes for transgender youth who receive affirming care
- Current research on general health outcomes for transgender youth who receive affirming care
WASHINGTON STATE LAWS
- Current policy to be followed in Washington State Schools as required by the Office of the Superintendent of Public Instruction.
- Rights in gender segregated facilities.
- RCW Chapter 49.60
A State law that protects all people in Washington from unfair and discriminatory practices in employment, real estate transactions, public accommodations, credit, insurance, as well as health care whistleblower, and state employee whistleblower complaints.
- Understand your rights in terms of housing.
- Age of consent for healthcare
A very good chart regarding the requirement of parental consent.
LOCAL HEATHCARE OPTIONS
Currently, there are no local providers offering puberty blockers. The closest options are in Bellingham.
For HRT, the following providers offer services for adolescents and adults:
- SeaMar Clinic
- Skagit Regional Care
- Planned Parenthood-intake has to take place in Bellingham, but then hormones can be maintained.
Seattle Children’s Hospital Gender Clinic
Consult the Gender Clinic for referrals to Bellingham.
- Electrolysis and Laser for Hair Removal
- Voice Training
- Adrian comes highly recommended.
- Carli Barios at Bellingham at Catalyst Therapies
Mental Health Care
- Skagit Counseling Services
NOTE: They don’t take insurance but will work with you to help you to ask for reimbursement from your insurance company.
- Skagit Behavioral Health
Ask specifically to work with someone who is competent in the area of transgender, gnc or intersex counseling. They take several different insurances.
- Sea-Mar Behavioral Health Services
They take Medicaid. Expect to be put on a waiting list.
There are lots of individual practitioners in the area. Be assertive about interviewing counselors. They will do a phone consultation, so that you can ask questions. Do so. You deserve a competent, compassionate, skilled therapist. Expect nothing less.
Transgender Support Group through Northwest Washington Gender Alliance
This is a fabulous group of very welcoming folks who are so supportive with encouragement and resources. They meet every Wednesday evening from 7:30-9:00. Gender nonconforming folks are welcome as are intersex folks. For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
PFLAGskagit.org also has a monthly support group for folks who want support, questions answered, someone to cry with, be angry with, learn with. For more information, email email@example.com.
There are lots to choose from. Here are some of our favorites.
- The Trevor Project: for suicidal youth. 24/7 someone to talk with.
- TransLifeline for suicidal adults. 24/7 someone to talk with.
- Gender Spectrum-amazing resources and groups for everyone.
- TransFamilies-amazing resources and groups for everyone.
- PFLAG National tons of resources.
Specifically for teens 13-24
- Queer Chat Space-facilitated support groups for youth. There is always somebody to talk to and with.
- IMI-lots of resources for coping. Lots of groups. If you can’t find or afford mental health counseling, go here!!!